Friday, January 1, 2010

Patrick's Thoughts on 'Patrick's Thoughts':

Last January 1st, I resolved to write something creative every day, since writing is a great passion of mine. I knew finding time for any extensive writing would be a challenge, since I was beginning school again, so I decided I would try and come up with one short inspirational thought a day for 365 days. On the first day, I sat at the computer and stared at the screen. I then let myself think. Bad idea. My thoughts were, "there is no way I am going to be able to come up with an original idea of inspiration every day for the entire year." I even went so far as to shut the computer and start walking away. Then a little Yoga voice inside me spoke. It said, "What is your truth TODAY?" It reminded me to stay in the moment; to resolve to write one today only. One is a lot easier to think about than 365. So that's what I did. I walked back to the computer last January 1st and wrote a response to that inner dialogue. It read, "In order to acquire something you've never had, you have to perhaps do something you've never done." That voice was my muse and my daily template each time I sat at the computer at 5:30 in the morning. "What is your truth TODAY?" I would ask, and the writer was freed. I never again, for the entire year, was without a new idea. My truth was often a response to something I learned or was feeling, something or someone that inspired me that week. By focusing on "just today" I managed to achieve the goal I set out for. There is a lesson here folks, and I pass it along to you in today's thought, the first one on my new blog, below. So how long will I be doing this? As long as I feel like it...lol. Thanks for reading.

Thought For Today: "Don't think of the quilt. Think of the stitch. You'll get the same results, but without all the strings attached."

No comments:

Post a Comment