Tuesday, September 7, 2010

"Before you say 'its not worth it', shouldn't you determine its value to you?"






It is not an uncommon thing to say in the center of frustration (a place where decisions should NEVER be made), "Its not worth it." When I hear people say this it often sounds more like, "I don't really have the energy/stamina/fight to continue experiencing setbacks on the way to obtaining this goal." There are no blanket rules in life, and sometimes we do determine that the investment we have made is larger than the chance of an optimal outcome, but often times we feel beaten by the process and that can trick us into a false idea that we are depleted. I compare this to my workout routine. Often in the middle of a rep, I feel as though I don't have anymore energy for another and so I will give myself a brief pause to allow my body a short repair with which to meet my goal. Better for me to do that than to stop short compromising something that means a lot to me. Sure, on difficult days, I hear the inside voice say, "Its not worth it." Rather than responding to this, I understand this as the frustration that is very much a part of the entire process, honor it, then let it go. You must have decided something was worth it if you embarked on a journey toward it. Remember why you did it if you need a voice to counteract the "its not worth it" message that will whisper mistruths to you at different points along your journey. Another way to approach this is to establish what the first "it" is for you. Whats not worth it? You? Your happiness? Your home? Your friend? Your pet? That always helps me get some clariity. Hey, only you can know the value of the result for you and your life, but make sure you have explored that before throwing in the towel.

No comments:

Post a Comment